When I picked it up, from a relative, this is how it looked with carbs installed.
Here was the tank prior to bondo, paint, caswell sealer.
Krylon primer, sand camo color, and then satin clear coat. The wife came across the stencil font at michael's craft store.
The other bits and pieces got the same color:
The relative I purchased the bike from told me it had been sitting for 11 years before he bought it 3 years ago. So, oil pan removal was a must. You can see why.
The drive sprocket area was covered in nasty crud. Thorough cleaning ensued.
Front wheel bearing retainer removal was a joy......
....but rear wheel bearing retainers were even better. The local bike shop owner recommended I 'release' the tension holding the retainer in place by making some cuts. I did, brought the hub to him and a little while later got it back in usable condition....after I used a thread file on it.
Looking up from below the engine case oil pan area, you can see part of the oil screen and pump and the drive chain off of the crank...
Like all good maintainers, I thought, maybe, for safety's sake, I would look into the front and rear calipers. Good thing I did. Both rear caliper pistons were pitted and rusty. I replaced both pucks and the seals, then the dust covers and the dust cover retaining rings. The front caliper required a new piston and new seal, as well. Then replaced the old front brake pads. I bead blasted the front and rear calipers, primed them, then gave them both several coats of gloss black followed a liberal amount of gloss clear coat.
My wife and I on my '81 cb650 standard from 11 years ago. Wish I still had this CB.
I installed the new starter solenoid I received in the mail. No more mandated kick starting, but good to know I can if need be. I got the solenoid from cb750supply.com for $35 shipped.
The diameter of the new solenoid is slightly larger than the original. The new solenoid came with a rubber sleeve that was not necessary on my 750F1. So, I can imagine there are a few honda models out there that require it.
Now, onto checking the charging system.
I removed the rubber sleeve off the new solenoid. I took off a metal mounting ring around the original and placed it on the new solenoid. It acts like a hard mount to the two threaded mounting bolts to the frame.