Hello everyone, I just recently bought a 1981 CB750 Custom for $800. Brand new tires, new battery, no carb leaks, original seat and mirrors and the thing is great. One issue, the bike will not hold a charge. I bought a new recitifer, and a trickle charge, and it ran great. Just had to turn up the idling switch a little bit and she was fine. I am still learning to ride so as expected, I will stall out from time to time. I stalled out in first and she wouldn't turn back on. Got it charged and it was fine then continued to ride the next day. I rode about 50 miles today and when I went to leave my house it would not turn back on. After doing some research I've come to the conclusion it is the rotor and/or stator. Do you all think it could be both? Or most likely just the rotor.
PS I will be getting a multi meter on it but I just wanted to know if anyone had close to the same situation.
Check all your connectors. My 900 had the same problem, I replaced the rectifiers stator, everything, still had the problem. Went through all my connectors, cleaned them real good and haven't had to charge her since.
Not guaranteeing this is the problem, but its a good, cheap place to start and really should be dome anyways. Good luck!
It's only illegal if you get caught.
If at first you don't succeed, use more lighter fluid
95% of Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... The other 5% made it home.
New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"
I tested the resistance on the slip rings of the rotor and got the reading above.. I also tested the connectors on the stator and was getting 0.0 reading on the OHMS. I tested all of the connector "combinations" and all of them zero'd out. One of them read high for a second but immediately dropped back down. Let me know what you all think. So I think it will be safe to say that the stator/rotor is my problem.