out of place chunk of something

lonegroover

Happy new year to everyone
I have previously posted about my 1979 cb750kz and its second lease of life
i still enjoy taking it out for rides in my local area
recently i noticed some oil misting on the oil pan area so drain oil and remove the pan to check it out.
found this u shape metal object in the pan under where the oil pick up strainer is positioned
can anyone ID this so i can find out what to do about finding and fixing the issue
regards from south west OZ

Re: out of place chunk of something

TOOLS1
Administrator
I do not recognize it, but I will be tearing a DOHC engine down later this week and will keep an eye out for anything that looks like that.
TOOLS
Happiness is a belt fed weapon.
We all got problems. Ksharp
"That is awesome shit there" Re-Run

1976 CB 750-A X 2
1977 CB 750-A X 4
1977 CB 750-K
1976 CB 750 F
1981 CB 750
1966 Kawasaki SG 250
1981 KZ 750 LTD
1973 CB 350
1979 CM 185 Twinstar
1982 Honda XL 80
South of Eden (Kansas City MO)

Re: out of place chunk of something

lonegroover

Well i believe i have located where the mystery piece of metal originated from.
as circled in the attached image there appears to be part of the very top of the rear cam chain guide /tensioner missing and first indications are it has not damaged the rest of cam chains/guides/ tensioners on the way down to the sump.
i have rotated the engine several times and can find no other damage to chains/gears/ crankshaft
that piece of metal does have some markings on to suggest being munched by a rotating engine component however.
previous to posting about this i already had the engine out on a stand and stripped down to enable lower case removal which revealed no obvious signs of damage to the bottom end.
did not see any anything when using inspection camera either.
so today as already stated i believe it has parted ways with the top of the guide for reasons unknown and going back to the assembly process in 2012 i have one saved image which shows that guide top intact.
i have always followed the maintenance requirements and suggestions from sites such as this one for keeping on top of adjustments and checks so this has me concerned now
oh well more investigating to be done now
Regards to the site

Re: out of place chunk of something

TOOLS1
Administrator
This is interesting! Please keep us posted as to what you find.